Let’s face it, the first thing most people notice when they meet someone is their smile. Believe it or not, in order to maintain an attractive and healthy smile, regular dental visits are required. Are two regular check-ups and cleanings a year often enough to keep those smiles vibrant? Under normal circumstances, the answer is usually, “Yes”. However, with all of the bad eating and brushing habits acquired by most people, there is often need to visit more often.
Five Reasons to Visit the Dentist in St Peter MN
• X-rays taken regularly can help the dentist examine the part of your mouth that is not visible. They can show roots and bones beneath the gums to discover if there are any signs of decay, tumors, cavities, cysts, or abnormal growth. Those are things a person may not know about until it’s too late without examining the x-ray results. During this stage of the visit, the dentist can also check for signs of oral cancer or periodontal disease. If detected early, serious problems can be avoided. An unhealthy mouth can lead to other serious problems throughout the body if left unchecked.
• Having the teeth cleaned to remove tartar build up which can lead to cavities should be carried out. Often a dental hygienist will scrape and brush the teeth until they are plaque and tartar free. The plaque which is visibly unnoticeable and sticks to the teeth is made up of bacteria, saliva, and fragments of food. If left unchecked, it can lead to inflammation of the gums, which can become uncomfortable.
• After having the teeth cleaned, they will be polished to a beautiful shine.
• Next, the dentist will examine the clean teeth closely with a special instrument to check for any holes in the teeth, a.k.a. the dreaded cavity. If one is found, preparations will be made to fill it, so that the tooth will remain healthy and not cause any pain. If there are older fillings or crowns present, the dentist will examine them to be sure they are still doing their jobs.
• The Dentist in St Peter MN will demonstrate what needs to be done to maintain good dental health. For example, showing the best way to and how often one should floss and brush the teeth correctly to keep debris from settling or staying on them.
Visit Mankatodentist.com for more information on keeping a healthy and attractive smile.