Dental veneers, in many cases called “porcelain veneers” are very thin shells that are custom-made in a dental lab to cover the exposed surface of teeth. These wafer-thin shells are bonded to the teeth using dental adhesive; they are used to cover imperfections such as chips and cracks and also can be used to change the shape of teeth or close gaps between teeth.
Although veneers in Chicago can be produced from a resin material, porcelain veneers are the most popular because they resist staining and last longer.
What problems can be fixed with dental veneers?
Teeth take a great deal of abuse, as people age their teeth will become discolored, will chip and crack. Dental veneers are ideal when the objective is to:
* Cover teeth that are discolored to the point where teeth whitening is not effective.
* Extend the length of teeth that have become worn down
* Cover chips and surface cracks
* Close gaps between teeth
How does the dentist prepare you for veneers?
The entire process normally takes three separate visits to the dentist; the first visit is simply a consultation while the second and third trips are to prepare for, make and fix the veneers. Veneers in Chicago can be employed for one tooth or a number of teeth depending on the conditions.
* During the initial consultation, you and your dentist will discuss what it is you are trying to achieve. The dentist will check your teeth to ensure they are suitable for veneers, X-Rays and impressions will be taken.
* During the send visit, your dentist will prepare the target teeth. A small amount of enamel will be removed, enough to allow fitting of the veneers. The dentist will take an impression that is used to create a mold; the mold is used by dental lab technicians to actually make the veneers.
* On your final visit to your dentist, the veneers are bonded to the front of your teeth, they are trimmed and polished. You will probably see your dentist again in a few weeks to check on how your gums are responding to the veneers.
Veneers can be expected to last up to 15 years with normal dental care. Continue to brush and floss as normal.
If you are unhappy with the way, your teeth look you can improve the appearance and enhance your smile when you get veneers in Chicago. You are invited to make an appointment with Dental Professionals of Lincoln Park.